Fighting colds during pregnancy
Coughing, sneezing, nasal stuffiness…find this familiar? A cold is a contagious viral infection of the mucous membrane of the nose, spread by contact with an infected person. Anyone who breathes in the virus is then at risk of catching a cold. There are about 200 different viruses that can cause a cold. The most common ones belong to one of two viral groups: the rhinoviruses and the coronaviruses. Most of the effects of a common cold are limited to the upper respiratory tract. Colds cause the lining of the nose and throat to become irritated and inflamed which leads to typical cold symptoms including a blocked or runny nose, a sore throat, mild earache, sneezing and coughing, headache, watering eyes, malaise, or even high temperature.
Women who are pregnant are more susceptible to viral infections, such as coughs, colds and flu. Also, the symptoms that normally accompany this illnesses may persist longer than usual. This is because immune system is slightly suppressed during pregnancy in order to stop the body rejecting the unborn baby (as a foreign body). In fact, its main purpose is to protect your developing baby.
During pregnancy, you should avoid taking ‘over the counter’ cold medicines as many of them contain some ingredients which makes them unsuitable for use by expectant or breastfeeding mothers. For example, conventional vasocontrictors ease the nasal problem but they can also tighten the arteries near the uterus leaving your baby at risk of receiving a reduced flow of oxygen and blood. This is why medications should be avoided particularly during the first trimester when the baby’s fetal organs are forming. You should always consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking any medicine.
Doubtless, the best option for treating a cold and flu during pregnancy would be to choose the most natural way possible. That is why we have created a set of products based on purified seawater from the Adriatic, which contain no preservatives or additives and are manufactured to pharmaceutical standards for sterile production, in accordance with European GMP standards.
Aqua Maris offers completely safe solution to nasal congestion for pregnant women through a natural decongestant, Aqua Maris Strong. It removes excess fluid from the swollen nasal mucous membranes, thereby decreasing swelling and discharge production to enable easier breathing. Aqua Maris Strong soothes and decongests, and as does not have any systemic effects, it can safely be used by children, as well as by pregnant and breast-feeding women and older people.
To alleviate some of the discomfort caused by a cold, it is recommended also to increase your fluid intake, eat a healthy and balanced diet, increase your rest periods, avoid smoking or smoky environments as these further irritate the respiratory tract, and of course a good hygiene is important to minimise spread of cold and flu viruses.
Nasal congestion in babies and small children
Normal breathing is extremely important for healthy sleep, feeding and development in babies. Nasal congestion is a frequent problem which causes irritation and insomnia in infants and small children. Isotonic sea water is suitable for use from birth and is intended for daily nasal hygiene of nasal cavities prior to breast or bottle feeding and during illness relating to the upper respiratory tract which makes breathing through the nose difficult. Choose one of our especially designed products for babies, Aqua Maris Baby drops (10ml & 15ml) or Aqua Maris Baby spray (50ml), to help babies sleep and feed easy and breathe naturally.
Natural solution for ENT problems
Aqua Maris builds on the recognized medicinal benefits of seawater for respiratory health. Aqua Maris wide range of products addresses the specific needs of infants, children and adults, providing relief for breathing difficulties, supporting the body’s defences against colds and flu and assisting in managing sinus problems, allergies and rhinitis. As Aqua Maris products are taken into the human body – including babies and young children – purity and gentleness are of prime importance.
Try also other 100% natural Aqua Maris® products to solve your ENT problems!
- Waller et al. Maternal report of fever from cold or flu during early pregnancy and the risk for noncardiac birth defects, National Birth Defects Prevention Study, 1997–2011. Birth Defects Research. 2018. Volume 110, Issue 4. Pages 342-351
- Garavello et al. Nasal Lavage in Pregnant Women with Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis: A Randomized Study. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2010;151:137–141
- Chirico et al. Nasal congestion in infants and children: a Literature review on efficacy and safety of non-pharmacological treatments. Minerva Pediatr. 2014;66:549-57
- Coates et al. Nasal Obstruction in the Neonate and Infant. cpj.sagepub.com Florida International Univ. 2015
- Chen et al. The effectiveness of nasal saline irrigation (seawater) in treatment of allergic rhinitis in children. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology 78 (2014) 1115–1118
- Koksal et al. Comparison between the use of saline and seawater for nasal obstruction in children under 2 years of age with acute upper respiratory infection. Turk J Med Sci (2016) 46: 1004-1013
- Šlapak et al. Efficacy of Isotonic Nasal Wash (Seawater) in the Treatment and Prevention of Rhinitis in Children. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008;134(1):67-74